babies

  • Permalink Gallery

    Injecting Hope: Shaare Zedek on Cutting Edge of Assisted Reproductive Technologies

Injecting Hope: Shaare Zedek on Cutting Edge of Assisted Reproductive Technologies

Deep inside Jerusalem’s Shaare Zedek Medical Center, a dedicated team of doctors, technicians, and geneticists, armed with an alphabet soup of treatments with names like IVF, PGD and PGS, spend their days helping couples overcome serious fertility issues. Shaare Zedek, which has been providing medical care to Jerusalem since 1902, is on the cutting edge of assisted reproductive technologies, making the miraculous seem almost routine.

Prof. Jonathan Halevy, who stepped down in March 2019 as director-general at Shaare Zedek, explains, “At Shaare Zedek, we have created an infrastructure able to recognize the potential for new medical technologies and find ways to integrate them for the benefit of our patients. In-vitro fertilization (IVF) and preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) are prime examples of this approach.”

According to the hospital, Kupot Holim medical organizations in Israel cover the cost of IVF and PGD fertility treatments until the couple has up to two children via these procedures. Other countries are much more restrictive in the amount of IVF treatments that are offered, and costs are much higher – a situation that Halevy says has helped make Israel an innovator in these technologies.

The IVF process involves three stages: ovarian stimulation, which increases the number of eggs; egg retrieval and fertilization using sperm in a lab environment; and embryo transfer into the uterus, which results in pregnancy. Of the hundreds of IVF procedures that are performed each year at Shaare Zedek, 75% are performed for couples who have difficulty conceiving. The remaining 25% of the IVF procedures are associated with PGD.

First developed in 1990, PGD allows doctors to perform genetic profiling of embryos prior to implantation and is used to prevent certain genetic diseases or disorders from being passed on to the child. more >

By |April 2nd, 2019|News, Photos, Support ACSZ|Comments Off on Injecting Hope: Shaare Zedek on Cutting Edge of Assisted Reproductive Technologies|

Bat Mitzvah Celebration: Dressing Newborns at Shaare Zedek

Huvi Hirschey collected more than 500 baby outfits for distribution on the maternity ward

It’s been several years since Ahuva (Huvi) Hirschey of Elizabeth, NJ, first visited the maternity ward at Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem where her grandmother volunteers. Huvi, now 12, was a little girl at the time. But what her bubby, Jacqueline Maltz, told her then left a lasting impression: many babies born at Shaare Zedek each year won’t have a new outfit to wear home. Some are born into large families and receive older siblings’ hand-me-downs; others are born into families that simply can not afford a new outfit that will shortly be outgrown. Even more difficult is when a baby is born with a disability; often then people hesitate before even congratulating the parents, let alone offering a gift.

Huvi, whose smile lights up a room, decided that encouraging her guests to help would be an important part of her bat mitzvah celebration. The sixth grader at Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy in Livingston included a note with her invitation that read, “My Bubby volunteers in the maternity department at Shaare Zedek hospital. Can you believe that more than 20,000 babies are born there each year? My Bubby told me that there are many mothers who are very poor and do not have a new outfit to put on their babies to go home. I really think that every new baby should go home wearing something new and not something torn or stained, and that is why I am asking for your help…” She asked for donations of new baby clothing and blankets.

The response was overwhelming. People brought shopping bags filled with adorable new baby clothes; over 500 outfits were more >

By |February 29th, 2016|News, Support ACSZ|Comments Off on Bat Mitzvah Celebration: Dressing Newborns at Shaare Zedek|